DesCartes: A Continuum of Learning is provided by Northwest Evaluation Association (NWEA) as part of their MAP assessment sytstem.
DesCartes is most useful when students are taking NWEA's MAP assessments. However, NWEA created our original ISAT tests, with student results measured on the RIT scale. Because the current version of ISAT also reports student results as RIT scores, and because both tests are based on state standards, we can continue to use DesCartes with scores from the current version of the ISAT.
DesCartes: A Contiuum of Learning
DesCartes is a resource designed to make it easier to use MAP scores to improve classroom instruction for all students.
DesCartes makes connections between specific skills and RIT scores to identify what students are ready to learn and to guide instructional planning.
DesCartes is structured by goal areas (such as Literal Comprehension for Reading and Geometry for Math) which are organized based on state standards.
Each column in DesCartes includes the skills within a block of 10 RIT points. If a student has a RIT score of 205, then the skills within the 201-210 block are the skills that student is ready to work on in class right now.
Sample from DesCartes:
DesCartes can be used for:
- Planning small group instruction, including flexible grouping
- Goal setting
- Creating centers, homework, or other assignments based on skills needed for each student
- Providing students, parents, and aides with specific skill sets for a student to focus on
To Access DesCartes:
- Go to the NWEA Report site: www.nwea.org, then click "Reports Login"
- Log in using the User Name and Password provided by your administrator
View DesCartes by Test, Goal Area, and RIT Range:
- Scroll down and click on "DesCartes" near the bottom of the toolbar on the left
- Select a Test
- Select a Goal Area
- Select a RIT block to view DesCartes skills
View DesCartes for a Student or Group of Students:
- Open report "Class by RIT" (on the left toolbar)
- Choose the Term (i.e. "Fall 2007"). Click "Submit"
- Scroll down to view the chart. Click on Math, Reading, Language Usage, or Science to see the goal areas
- For each goal area desired, click on a student's name to view DesCartes skills for that individual student -OR- Click on "All Students in Cell" to view DesCartes for the group of students - useful for flexible grouping
(Available after logging into NWEA's Report site)
Material from DesCartes: A Continuum of Learning is provided by courtesy of Northwest Evaluation Association and may not be republished, rewritten, or redistributed. All rights reserved.